Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Leaving On A Jet Plane Pt. 2

Ok, so before I get to the details of the plane ride, here are some tips for flying with young children, that I learned from friends, family and Pinterest.

Before you go, I highly suggest you figure out what the weather will be at your destination. Knowing it was going to be snowy and cold as snowballs here in Korea, I planned ahead and bought snowsuits for my little ones. (Pretty obvious, right?) Well when you're crazy busy trying to pack and maintain the house and your sanity, simple things like that get over looked.
While I was at Babies R Us buying those, I also invested in a somewhat cheaper double umbrella stroller. It isn't the prettiest or most high tech, but it was lightweight, easy to fold and got us from point A to point B.

Could you imagine, being on multiple planes for 20(+) hours total, with a 4 month old, 2, and 4 year old? Yeah... I must be CrAzY, right? Well, I am. But the real question is, how do I keep a toddler and a preschooler that love to always be on the move or doing something, anything, calm for the whole trip? Well, with me being the wiz kid I am and by the grace of God, I found a way!!!
I can't explain the wonders of God, but I can tell you what I did.

I made sure our carry on bags were ready for it all. I had a total of three carry-ons. Mikey's (4 years old), Izzy's (2 years old0, and my own (age not included), which had more stuff for them in it that for myself.
 In the kid's carry on I packed:

  • 1 Magnadoodle per child
  • 1 coloring book per child, Mickey and Minnie (familiar faces are nice when things are chaotic)
  • 1 dry erase activity book (Crayola)
  • 2 packs of dry erase crayons (Crayola as well, in  Primary colors and Bright colors) *I put the crayons in a travel baby wipe container so I didn't have to deal with the boxes or trying to find a place to them to go.
  • Stickers and a book for them to put them in
  • Sparkly Pipe cleaners (to keep those little hands busy)
  • head phones for both kids, for flight movies or music
  • pillows
  • snack bag
The snack bag consisted of:
  • Grahm crackers (or as my kids call them sweet crackers)
  • The packets of apple sauce and bananas (such as these)
  • Cheddar and cheese crackers
  • gum
  • suckers
It doesn't sound like much but it made a world of difference! In my bag I had:
  • travel sized Clorox wipes
  • hand sanitizer (individually wrapped)
  • baby wipes
  • lots and lots of diapers (Mikey is potty trained but for the plane and only the plane he wore pull ups. So we didn't have to deal with the stress of accidents)
  • tray liners (like these, I cleaned the trays off first then put these bad boys on. They stuck on perfectly and helped keep messes to a minimum. Parents and flight attendants were very impressed by what I thought was no big deal.)
  • A book for me
  • Nintendo DS with a Sudoku game
  • A journal
  • ear buds
  • Colgate Wisp
  • a change of clothes for the kids and I
  • cash
  • and all of our passports
As for Noah (the 4 month old), Sydney took care of that. Once she gets her blog up and going I will post a link so you can see what she packed.
I don't know much about what to pack for an infant but I do know, you need to pack lots of diapers and baby wipes. Bottles with water. Buy extra bottles of water once you get past security, and pack formula. I would suggest breastfeeding most of all, but if your baby takes formula, look into buying the individually wrapper formula packets, for ease.

I might of over packed, but in hind sight, I am more than happy I packed each and everything I had. I hope this post will help somebody out on their future travels.
Feel free to comment below add something that helped you out or ask questions.
Bon Voage!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great! I can't even imagine how much pressure it is and was to make sure things were packed and ready for a trip like that. Great Blog Tristian!!! I'm loving it!
    Miss and love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have no idea what I'm doing but one day, I just might get the hang of it! LOL
      Thank you for the support.
      I love you! =)

      Delete